[vtk-developers] Modularization, Context2D and Tcl

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Wed Mar 28 06:09:26 EDT 2012

I agree with Wes. Again, not to be too vocal....

I don't vote for  vtk3DWidget being renamed. Despite it being an old
generation widgets that we don't recommend folks derive from, but the fact
remains that there are a few widgets in VTK that derive from it. There are
a lot of widgets in Slicer (<20) and VolView (>10) that derive from it.
These are examples from just 2 applications.

I don't support Tcl wrapping being dropped. There are still a lot of apps
under active development out there relying on VTK being wrappable from Tcl
(BioImageSuite, VolView, SCIRun, MIPS to name a few). It hasn't been long
since Slicer made the switch either.

These are all large applications, with a large user base and important
customers of VTK. Don't you think a stand that: "If these applications want
to continue using VTK, they shouldn't upgrade" is a bit harsh.

thx
--
karthik

karthik