[vtk-developers] Python and mutable test failing for modular

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Mar 19 18:07:42 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm... I don't know if I did a very good job of explaining.  To make a
>>> long story short, there was special code (shown above) in
>>> vtkWrapPythonInit.c that added "mutable" to the list of python objects
>>> for vtkCommonPython.
>>>
>> You did, and I think I see a reasonable fix for now at least - that
>> same thing could be added to vtkCommonCorePython in the case of
>> modular. Are there any more cases like this I should look out for? It
>> is great to get a better understanding of how some of this works too.
>
> CommonCore is the logical place for it.
>
> PyVTKMutable is the only handwritten python type that is concrete and
> needs to be visible to the user.   PyVTKClass, PyVTKObject,
> PyVTKTemplate, etc. are meta-types.

Thanks, this also helped me to figure out some Tcl issues (I hope)
where it is hard wiring the interpreter struct to Vtkcommontcl, and it
seems that this again would map nicely to vtkCommonCore as all other
modules must depend on this. I also discovered several of the new kits
were never properly wrapped in Tcl (as far as I can tell at least),
but should be automatically added in the future.

Marcus