[vtk-developers] VTK modularization update

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:41:22 EDT 2012

Hi Bill,

I prefer having the sources explicitly listed in the cmake files.  Why
did the ITK folks decide to go the other way?

Overall, I'm a fan of the VTK modularization.  It does the three
things that I wanted to see:

1) it simplifies the kit CMake scripts, making it easy to add new kits
2) it makes it easy to add external kits (and wrap them)
3) it reorganizes the directories to reflect how VTK has evolved

And it achieves this with a fairly minimal set of changes to the
overall organization of VTK, which is something that I really
appreciate.  But I agree that code tools should be in a different
directory from the library source.  The code tools could stay in
"Utilities" (with the lib source moved to a different directory), or
the code tools could go into a directory called CodeTools (with the
lib source remaining in Utilities). I like the name "CodeTools"
because it is less ambiguous than "Utilities".

And of course Imaging still needs to be split... I'll take a shot at
this next week, and maybe Steve Piper should take a look too.

 - David