[vtk-developers] Unique enum values

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:21:04 EDT 2012

Folks,

A user recently reported that an enum value "DIFFERENCE" was defined
by Visual Studio 2008. This caused compilation errors in the vtk class
that defined and used it.

VTK classes that define enums do not follow a consistent convention.
Some use a VTK_ prefix, others do not.

Without a unique prefix VTK may have compilation issues if, in the
future, a compiler decides to define one of the values that we have
created.

I propose, that for VTK6, we establish a convention that enum values
always have a prefix VTK_.

About 370 vtk*.h files have an enum. I'm willing to take a stab at
applying this convention throughout VTK.

Bill