[vtk-developers] Instructions for building VTK using devenv.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:47:46 EDT 2012

Hi All,
   I have attached an html file detailing how to checkout and build VTK
using devenv for separate release and debug trees. I felt I needed to
document the process and then thought it might be useful to the community
on general.

I would appreciate input as to:
1) Do the instructions work for you?
2) Is there a better way?
3) Have I missed anything?
4) Are there any more additions needed?
5) Would this be useful to put up on the Wiki?

I have tried a similar approach using nmake but it takes a very long time
as nmake doesn't do parallel builds. I also looked at jom but decided to
stick with devenv as the solution files are automatically created and the
user can then click on VTK,sln in the VTK Debug or Release Directory and
edit (if needed)/build as needed. Devenv seems to also use as much of the
resources on the machine as it can and, while being much much slower than
gcc on Linux or Mac OS, it is much faster than nmake. Having separate build
and release trees means that the building goes a bit faster because the
solution file doesn't have to change from release to debug.or vice versa.

Of course I welcome corrections and more input.

Regards
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean