[vtk-developers] Rendering of vtkPolyData broken on Nvidia systems

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Jun 25 17:46:38 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:30:36 -0400, Cory Quammen said:
>
>>Sigh. Nothing like removing useful features from a widely used API for
>>no good (in my mind) reason.
>
> Indeed.  However, looked at in another way, it is perhaps also an indication that VTK is not keeping up with the evolution of OpenGL.

If you search for display lists and nVidia you will find results such as,

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-295.20-driver.html

This shows bug fixes for Fermi based GPUs where display lists could
result in "missing rendering" in some cases. While there are certainly
advantages to using VBOs, I don't see nVidia dropping support for
display lists any time soon. If there are rendering bugs in the
polydata mapper we can work to track them down, but in my tests I was
not able to reproduce the rendering issue - it could be driver version
and/or GPU specific.

In terms of keeping up with the evolution of OpenGL, I am very eager
to add in functionality to support VBOs and other new GL features. I
think there is some exciting work in related projects that we would
like to see appear in VTK in the near future. I know we have been
doing some work in VES for example with VBOs on mobile GPUs (GL ES
2.0), and we have also been working on a GL 2.1 desktop rendering
pipeline with no fixed function calls (very similar to ES 2.0) for
efficient rendering of large chemical structures.

There is a lot more to do before these approaches can handle
everything VTK currently supports.

Thanks,

Marcus