[vtk-developers] Problem with VTK modularization and branded ParaView applications

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jun 12 17:01:50 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've encountered what may be a problem in VTK that impacts ParaView,
so I'm sending to the developers list for both. It seems to be related
to the recent modularization effort in VTK.

I have a branded ParaView application (source code available here:
https://github.com/MADAI/MADAIWorkbench) and I'm trying to compile it
against HEAD in ParaView master on Mac OS X using the makefile
generator in CMake.

The compilation of this application fails when building custom plugins
included with it. In the case I'll use to illustrate the error, the
plugin is called BinningFilter.

Compilation fails with a bash error:

mac-quammen:MADAIWorkbench-1.2.2 quammen$ make
[  1%] Generating Documentation HTMLs from xmls
Processing wiki sources
Processing wiki filters
Processing wiki writers
Processing wiki readers
[  2%] Generating qrc_BinningFilter.cxx
[  3%] Compiling Qt help project BinningFilter.qhp
Building up file structure...
Insert custom filters...
Insert help data for filter section (1 of 1)...
Insert files...
Warning: The file
/Users/quammen/dev/build/MADAIWorkbench-1.2.2/Plugins/BinningFilter/doc/*.css
does not exist! Skipping it.
Warning: The file
/Users/quammen/dev/build/MADAIWorkbench-1.2.2/Plugins/BinningFilter/doc/*.png
does not exist! Skipping it.
Warning: The file
/Users/quammen/dev/build/MADAIWorkbench-1.2.2/Plugins/BinningFilter/doc/*.jpg
does not exist! Skipping it.
Insert contents...
Insert indices...
Documentation successfully generated.
[  5%] Generating BinningFilter_doc.h
-- Generate module: BinningFilter
[  6%] Generating vtkBinningFilterClientServer.cxx
[  7%] Generating vtkSMXML_BinningFilter.h
-- Generate module: BinningFilter
[  9%] Generating moc_BinningFilter_Plugin.cxx
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `('
[snipped for brevity]

The problem seems to be that bash is choking on the compiler definitions

-DvtkIOExodus_AUTOINIT=1(vtkIOParallelExodus)
-DvtkRenderingCore_AUTOINIT=3(vtkInteractionStyle,vtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGL,vtkRenderingOpenGL)
-DvtkRenderingVolume_AUTOINIT=1(vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL)

The open (and close) parens seem to be the source of the error.

If I modify the "Plugins/BinningFilter/moc_BinningFilter_Plugin.cxx"
rule in Plugins/BinningFilter/CMakeFiles/BinningFilter.dir/build.make
to add quotation marks around the value of the compiler definitions,
it compiles fine.

So somewhere, quotation marks are not being added around the
definition values for the AUTOINIT definitions. I'm working on
figuring out how this happens, but if someone more intimately familiar
with the modularization might be able to shed light on it, I would
appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
Cory

--