[vtk-developers] vtkFileOutputWindow syntax

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:03:53 EDT 2012

> Even if that is the case, why not just fileOutputWindow->Activate() (with no arguments) or something like that? It seems confusing to have to pass an object to itself.
>
> David

The question arose when windoer if this is sufficient:

 fileOutputWindow->SetInstance(fileOutputWindow);

or if you must do:

  vtkOutputWindow* outputWindow = vtkOutputWindow::GetInstance();
  if ( outputWindow )
    {
    outputWindow->SetInstance( fileOutputWindow );
    }

Dean, I believe you made this change to the wiki example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/FileOutputWindow -
can you explain why you think the outputWindow might be NULL (which is
I'm assuming why you've done it like this?

David