[vtk-developers] Parallel coordinates chart axis titles overwritten

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Jun 5 12:05:13 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> Hey Marcus,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating my customized Charts parallel coordinates classes over to work with VTK 5.10 (can't migrate to the dev version until the Python SIP wrapping is restored) and I've run into a little snag. Not sure if this would be considered a bug or just something I'm doing in the wrong order, or something.
>
> When I set up my parallel coordinates, I run through my table columns and set which columns should be visible in the PC chart. Then I loop through the axes and set the behavior to 1 and set min, max, tick positions and labels. Then I set the axis titles.
>
> My axis titles are getting overwritten when vtkChartParallelCoordinates::Update() hits this line:
>
> axis->SetTitle(this->VisibleColumns->GetValue(i));
>
> I don't know what the right condition would be to test and see if the axis title should get reset… Should this behavior be tied to the axis "behavior"?
>
> Just wanted to give you a heads up. If there's something different I should be doing, or if you think this is a bug and I should file a report to keep note of it, then let me know.

I think that is a bug, and we should fix it up. Also, on a related
note after talking with Berk I think I have a clear idea on ways to
improve the chart classes to make inheritance much simpler. I will try
to find some time to get to it soon, and will perhaps add you as a
reviewer to ensure the API updates meet your needs.

Thanks,

Marcus