[vtk-developers] Modules missing from the Standalone Group

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Jul 19 00:23:15 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 07/18/2012 10:07 AM, Berk Geveci wrote:
>> I agree with Bill and the description. StandAlone == what VTK was before modularization, without turning any additional flags
>
> IMO StandAlone should not depend on anything, even GL.  One
> of the goals of modularization is to allow minimal builds on
> more platforms.  This should include builds on compute-only
> nodes of supercomputers and such.
>
> We can make "StandAlone+Rendering == default pre-mod VTK" and
> have both groups on by default.  That will preserve the old
> default set of available classes.  Then it is easy to disable
> the Rendering group with one switch.

This is already the case, I just checked,

# Set the default group option - Rendering ON, and all others OFF.
  if(${group} MATCHES "^Rendering|^StandAlone")
    set(_default ON)
  else()
    set(_default OFF)
  endif()

This causes Rendering and StandAlone to be enabled by default. It
looks like the description needs to be fixed, and I added this after
discussions with Berk about the need for a VTK that was roughly
equivalent to VTK without rendering (StandAlone) and one with
(Rendering).

The comments for the above quoted block are also out of sync. I don't
think StandAlone should depend on GL. I am out of the office, and so
may miss some replies (different timezone and a busy schedule).

Marcus