[vtk-developers] Usage of filters inside filters

Francisco Caraballo francisco.caraballo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:10:59 EST 2012

Hello everyone.

I'm developing a filter for image segmentation and i'm rather new to
the VTK workflow and would like to ask you guys for some help.
It would help me a lot if I could call several other filters from
within my own filter (i.e Image Mathematics, Gaussian, Gradient). I
have searched in the mailing list archives and found some old messages
where some people was against doing it and other people was for it.
What is the current position of the community on this subject,
considering I'm using VTK 5.8? Is it an accepted practice? If
positive, could you give me some advice as to how to do it? I'm
particularly confused about the pipeline calls and how to go around
calling the filters outside of the "main" pipeline.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Francisco Caraballo