[vtk-developers] Changing/Defining VTK's minimum Mac OS X requirements?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 22 20:41:05 EST 2012

Hi all,

I've seen a few mails on this list lately about some backwards incompatible changes coming to VTK (TextAnalysis move, vtkstd::) and it got me wondering...

What is the minimum Mac OS X that VTK should support?  Can we increase the minimum?  There's a lot of cruft in there to support old versions, and the need to support old versions prevents (or complicates) using newer API.

Here's a little table to help us decide...

10.4 - release Apr 2005
10.5 - release Oct 2007 - last to support PowerPC hardware
10.6 - release Aug 2009 - last to support 32bit Intel hardware
10.7 - release July 2011 - requires 64 bit Intel hardware
10.8 - release summer 2012?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com