[vtk-developers] Why wasn't vtkCellArray in vtkPolyData designed similar to vtkCellLinks?

Mingcheng Chen linyufly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:00:54 EST 2012

Thanks David!

Best regards,
Mingcheng Chen
February 10th, 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com>wrote:

> Because iteration is the more common access pattern (most importantly
> when pushing the elements to GL). Thus making the primary structure a
> sequential layout and making the random access layout optional saves
> both time and memory.
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Mingcheng Chen <linyufly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Currently, without vtkCellTypes we cannot randomly access cell in poly
> data
> > because there is no uniform "entry length" in vtkCellArray (cells may
> have
> > different number of connectivities).
> >
> > However, vtkCellLinks can support random access for every point, because
> it
> > uses local linked list in each entry.
> >
> > Why wasn't vtkCellArray designed like vtkCellLinks? If so, we can deal
> with
> > only three arrays instead of four.
> >
> > Could anyone please help me with that puzzle? What is the advantage of
> the
> > current design?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Mingcheng Chen
> > February 9th, 2012

Mingcheng Chen

Research Assistant in Graphics Group

Below is my undergraduate information.
Personal Page: http://epcc.sjtu.edu.cn/~mingchengchen
Embedded and Pervasive Computing Center
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
No.800 Dongchuan Road, Minhang District, Shanghai, PRC