[vtk-developers] Problem with vtkTextMapper::New()

Philippe Pébay philippe.pebay at kitware.com
Tue Dec 18 03:39:46 EST 2012

Hello all,

I have uncovered the following problem with vtkTextMapper::New() : when
attempting to create (via vtkNew) a scalar bar actor from a test program in
Filters/HyperTree/Testing/Cxx, I run into a runtime error caused by the
fact that line 78 of vtkScalarBarActor.cxx,
this->TitleMapper = vtkTextMapper::New();
consistently results in a 0x0 pointer for the TitleMapper instance.

After digging down with gdb, it appears that the culprit is to be found in
vtkObjectFactory::CreateInstance(const char* vtkclassname), which for a
value of vtkclassname equal to "vtkTextMapper" cannot create a
corresponding object in line 62:
vtkObject* newobject = factory->CreateObject(vtkclassname);

(gdb) n
58      for(vtkObjectFactory::RegisteredFactories->InitTraversal(osit);
(gdb)
62        vtkObject* newobject = factory->CreateObject(vtkclassname);
(gdb) p vtkclassname
$4 = 0x7ffff4a97a41 "vtkTextMapper"
(gdb) p newobject
$5 = (vtkObject *) 0x31
(gdb) n
63        if(newobject)
(gdb) p newobject
$6 = (vtkObject *) 0x0

As a result, vtkScalarBarActor always fails when attempting to access the
TitleMapper, specifically here:
0x00007ffff42ddb19 in vtkScalarBarActor::RenderOpaqueGeometry
(this=0x6c0110, viewport=0x6d3870)
     at
/home/philippe/git/VTK/Rendering/Annotation/vtkScalarBarActor.cxx:562
562          this->TitleMapper->SetInput(this->Title);

My module.cmake file in Filters/HyperTree has the following entries for
TEST_DEPENDS:
    vtkFiltersModeling
    vtkIOXML
    vtkIOLegacy
    vtkRenderingAnnotation
    vtkRenderingOpenGL
    vtkTestingRendering
    vtkInteractionStyle
    vtkRenderingFreeType

Has anyone any precise idea of what might be going on here?

Thanks

Philippe Pébay, PhD
Director of Visualization and High Performance Computing /
Directeur de la Visualisation et du Calcul Haute Performance
Kitware SAS
26 rue Louis Guérin, 69100 Villeurbanne, France
+33 (0) 6.83.61.55.70 / 4.37.45.04.15
http://www.kitware.fr <http://www.kitware.fr/>