[vtk-developers] accepting 5.10.1 patches

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 12:21:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:28:21 -0400, David E DeMarle said:
>
> I'd really like to get the netcdf mangling fixed, but haven't had the time to  figure out the git magic to create a patch for 5.x based on the fixes from 6.x.

I've started backporting some of my own bug fixes.  When I don't know
how do things with git, I just fall back to "diff" and "patch":

1) make a new branch for the fix
2) find the master-based commit in gitweb or gerrit
3) use "git show" or "git diff" to create a diff, e.g.
  git show 644fe65c > /tmp/isnan.diff
4) edit the diff file as necessary to reflect the old file locations,
to remove the commit log, etc.
5) apply the patch
  patch -p1 < /tmp/isnan.diff
6) git add/commit
7) test & push

It's not an automatic process by any stretch, but doing a
search/replace in the diff file to account for moved files is
straightforward.

 - David