[vtk-developers] VTK6 and Examples

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Aug 16 13:24:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Motivated by a recent user question....
>
> I could be wrong, but it seems that VTK/Examples are not being built even if
> BUILD_EXAMPLES is ON. Also, the CMakeList.txt files in the example reference
> VTK5.x libraries.
>
> I'm willing to get these examples working with VTK6, but I'll need some
> help. The examples should be buildable (and tested) with a VTK build, but
> also buildable as individual examples. This is how it worked in VTK5.x.
>
> What is the future of these examples?

It is one of the larger pieces on our todo list, you are correct that
the flag is present but not hooked up to anything at present. We
intend to bring them back, but have had other more pressing issues to
deal with. Chris, Brad and myself intended to bring it back, and could
provide in this area (we would welcome help from others).

I am out of town most of next week, but will try to answer any
questions. I think Brad had some ideas from the work he did in ITK
too.

Thanks,

Marcus