[vtk-developers] VTK Install Rules and Cross Compiling and ...

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Sun Aug 5 15:57:55 EDT 2012

Pat,

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Pat Marion <pat.marion at kitware.com> wrote:
> You probably explained it but I didn't read carefully.  Would
> vtk_target_export(...) and vtk_build_tools_target(...) export targets to
> different files?

Yes, for the build directory. For the install directory, both will
export targets to the same file if VTK_INSTALL_NO_DEVELOPEMENT is OFF.
We could change that, if needed for the installed directory too, but I
am not convinced it's needed there.

> VES uses vtk cross compiling for iOS and Android.  Right now, VES builds
> against a specific sha1 of VTK master from several months ago, but I could
> setup a new dashboard that uses VTK master.  Does the
> vtk_build_tools_target(...) macro correctly add the targets to a custom
> target, so you can run- make vtkCompileTools (for example) and it compiles
> just the compile tools and dependencies and nothing extra?

We could make vtk_build_tools_target(..) macro add a dependency to a
custom vtkCompileTools target. That sounds reasonable. Alternatively,
it could add the target to a GLOBAL PROPERTY and then the top-level
cmake file could add a custom target that uses the value of this
global property and adds them as depedencies.  Hopefully, someone may
want to chime in which way is better.

Utkarsh