[vtk-developers] Need variable VTK_USE_FONTCONFIG?

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Aug 1 18:33:49 EDT 2012

I +1'd the patch, and I don't propose that we keep dragging the topic
branch along, but I wanted to describe an alternative implementation, I'm
curious how you guys stand on this.  I don't pretend to fully understand
the vtk modular system of cross-module object factory overrides with
inheritance, but it looks fairly complicated.  Maybe fontconfig could be
enabled without it?

In the current implementation, the user enables fontconfig by calling a
function in the FreeType module:

vtkFreeTypeTools::GetInstance()->ForceCompiledFontsOff();

Instead, it could be enabled by calling a function in the FontConfig
module, something like:

static void vtkFontConfig::EnableFontConfig()
{
  vtkFreeTypeTools::GetInstance()->RegisterFontFaceFactory
(vtkFontConfigFontFaceFactory::New());
}

A related question, how come ForceCompiledFonts defaults to on?

Pat