[vtk-developers] Link errors after recent check ins

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Aug 6 10:25:23 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 11:09 AM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>> Folks,
>> Sometime around July 31, my nightly builds for the VTK Wiki Examples stared to exhibit link errors.
>>
>> gmake[6]: *** No rule to make target `/.../VTKGerrit-linux/lib/libvtkverdict-6.0.so.1', needed by `bin/ObserveError'.
>
> From "git bisect" I see the error was introduced here:
>
>  http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=2377ca28
>
> The ThirdParty/verdict/CMakeLists.txt file changes properties
> of the target after exporting it from the build tree.
>
> This commit is a step backwards.  The APPEND mode of export()
> is not as clean as a single export().  We do not need a whole
> LastConfigureStep directory for it, but we do need to collect
> all the targets in a global property and then export them all
> in one export() call at the end.
>
> This topic should fix it:
>
>  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/1022

The reason I did this was for projects adding VTK as a subdirectory,
we were hoping that they could be added to the export file. I am not
clear on why the APPEND mode of export is not as clean (nor did I spot
anything in the documentation).

Could you elaborate on why we need a single call, we will need to come
up with an alternative for projects like ParaView.

Thanks,

Marcus