[vtk-developers] Is there a vtkCheckerboardImageViewer2, or should I write my own?

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:31:08 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm currently using the vtkImageViewer2 to display a 3D image one
plane at a time, via various orientations (axial, sagittal, coronal).
Now, as I've posted on the vtk users list, I want to display two
images and allow for a user to manually register data.  To allow the
user to view the two images over one another, I'm thinking I should
write a version of the vtkImageViewer2 that takes in two images,
rather than 1, and also allows the user to modify the combination
approach (ie, checkerboard pattern, whether or not to use the wipe
widget, etc).  I'd also need to have an interactor that allowed the
user to use cursor keys to move the moving image vs the fixed image
and so forth.

I can view the fixed image just by passing a vtkImgeData to the
vtkImageCheckerboard, and then a
vtkImageData->vtkTransform->vtkImageReslice to get the moving image to
be the proper size and so forth.  The problem comes from the
interactive nature of what I want to do; right now, I don't see an
easy way to modify these pathways, as well as allow the user to modify
w/l, without going the vtkImageViewer2 overwrite.

Before I begin, does such functionality exist within vtk?  Would I be
reinventing the wheel here?

Thanks,
Mark