[vtk-developers] Header-wrapping in Modular

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:46:38 EDT 2012

Hi All,

When looking through Common/Core/CMakeLists.txt I noticed that there
are a several header files listed in Module_SRCS that don't seem to
belong, e.g.

vtkType.h
vtkSystemIncludes.h
vtkConfigure.h
etc.

If I understand things properly, it looks like the reason those headers
are in Module_SRCS instead of in Module_HDRS is that this is the
only way to pass them to the wrappers, because in vtkWrapping.cmake
the wrappers macros are called like so:

vtk_add_python_wrapping(${module_name} "${module_srcs}")

The wrappers should see both Module_SRCS and Module_HDRS,
something like this:

vtk_add_python_wrapping(${module_name} "${module_srcs}" "${module_hdrs}")

Then, each wrapper will deal with module_hdrs in the manner that is
applicable to that wrapper.  Are there any reasons for not taking this
approach?

 - David