[vtk-developers] Tcl rendering tests and hangs

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Apr 13 11:13:35 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Goodwin Lawlor
<goodwin.lawlor.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
>> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a Gerrit topic up for review,
>> >
>> > http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/374/
>> >
>> > This gets some of the rendering tests up and running again, but they
>> > hang until killed. Does anyone with deeper knowledge of Tcl and VTK
>> > have any idea what I might have missed. You can check out and build
>> > this topic, it depends on another topic that restores some Tcl code,
>> > and adjusts it for the new layout.
>> >
>> I have updated this topic, and have passing Tcl tests. The main point
>> I would love a little feedback on is why the additional require
>> package call was not necessary before modularization. I can confirm
>> that the image comparison is working, and I have to separate the tests
>> into two parts (Graphics and Rendering).
>>
>> Marcus
>

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Pre-modularization,  the vtk-tcl interpreter built with the vtk libs,
> initialized all the vtk commands on startup without a "package require vtk".
> That's the interpreter ctest uses to run rtImageTest.tcl.
>
> The question is, post-mod, what has changed that requires rtImageTest.tcl to
> have a "package require vtk".
>
> I'll have a look when I've got a new build.

Thanks for the explanation, I don't see where it was doing the package
require vtk before, and all the tests seem to have that as their first
line. For now we have merged the change, but I would welcome patches
if the old behavior is still desirable. We would also appreciate help
in restoring some of these tests if anyone still works with Tcl.

Thanks,

Marcus