[vtk-developers] No api for vtkAlgorithm::SetInputData()

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Thu Apr 12 18:29:25 EDT 2012

Here is a example, which may not be very common, but I had it in my code...

void foo(vtkAlgorithm* aFilter, vtkDataObject* aData)
{
  vtkDataObject* aDataCopy = copyData(aData);
  aFilter->SetInputConnection(aDataCopy->GetProducerPort());
}

In VTK 6, I can't find a generic way to connect a data object to an
algorithm.
I have to create a trivial producer (reimplement
vtkAlgorithm::SetInputDataInternal)

I'm curious if there is a reason not to change protected
SetInputDataInternal to public SetInputData?

Most subclasses define SetInputData as:

void vtkPolyDataAlgorithm::SetInputData(int index, vtkDataObject* input)
{
  this->SetInputDataInternal(index, input);
}

Pat