[vtk-developers] Version number in library filenames

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 9 16:20:33 EDT 2012

On 4/9/2012 4:09 PM, Pat Marion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new build system introduces changes the naming convention of VTK libraries.
>
> Previously, libraries were installed to "lib/vtk-5.9" and had the names:
>
> libvtkCommon.so  -> libvtkCommon.so.5.9
> libvtkCommon.so.5.9 -> libvtkCommon.so.5.9.0
> libvtkCommon.so.5.9.0
>
> Now, libraries are installed to "lib" and have the names:
>
> libvtkCommonCore-6.0.so <http://libvtkCommonCore-6.0.so> -> libvtkCommonCore-6.0.so.1
> libvtkCommonCore-6.0.so.1
>

> I just wanted to post this email so this change gains some visibility.
> I understand that the new convention follows what has been done with ITK.

Correct.  This allows installation into $prefix/lib so that someone with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$prefix/lib set can run without RPATHs.  Also the version
number belongs in the library name rather than the soname because VTK's
version numbers do not follow any dynamic loader conventions for ABI
compatibility.  Each major.minor version is its own distinct interface.

-Brad