[vtk-developers] VTK modularization update

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Apr 4 08:04:10 EDT 2012

On 4/3/2012 10:13 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>>    - If not yet done, project like kwsys could also be factored out, it would
>> be very helpful
>
> The kwsys code will not be factored out for modularization, it could
> be revisited once the modular tree has been committed.

KWSys is intentionally designed to be duplicated in each project that
uses it.  That's why the KWSYS_NAMESPACE is configured by each project.
In ITK it is "itksys".  In VTK it is "vtksys".  They can't share a
single external build because the names are all different.

The main restriction in KWSys is that it cannot be committed through
Git to any project right now because it's still in CVS.  I've been
working to remedy that but don't want the changes to interfere with
VTK modularization or the upcoming CMake 2.8.8 release.

-Brad