[vtk-developers] New API SetInputData() and GetInput()

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Apr 2 15:20:26 EDT 2012

Yes there was a discussion. You can find the full thing if you search in
the archives. Below is what I wrote in answer to a similar question. We are
open to suggestions on how to make this better.

Best,
-berk

I don't think it is as simple as renaming GetInput() to GetInputData().
There is indeed an asymmetry to the way these classes behave:

SetInputData() - sets a data object as input without creating a pipeline a
connection to whatever might have produced the data object
SetInputConnection() - sets up a pipeline connection to an algorithm
GetInput() - returns the input data object that may result from either of
the above functions

So GetInput() does not simply pair with SetInputData(). It's not like
SetInputData() sets a data member and GetInput() returns it. This is why I
left GetInput() alone.