[vtk-developers] Update on VTK modularization progress

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Wed Sep 28 18:48:03 EDT 2011

On 09/27/2011 12:37 PM, Aashish Chaudhary wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM, tom fogal<tfogal at sci.utah.edu>  wrote:
>> Eeek, I didn't know the modularization effort included a rework of how GL
>> worked.  You might be interested in commits like [...]
 >
> I remember your discussion on the mailing list but not sure how much
> these commits are related to that (it was some time back).
>
> These changes are quite significant. Would it be possible for you to
> push a topic branch that is GL specific?

I hadn't considered it ready for review quite yet -- in particular, I
wanted to fix up a lot of things about how mangled / osmesa is handled
in the build system -- but I pushed something anyway.

The branch is called 'visit':

http://review.source.kitware.com/#q,status:open+project:VTK+branch:master+topic:visit,n,z

Some of it isn't necessarily OGL related, it's just stuff that's useful
for us.  For example:

   http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2952

which lets us disable NetCDF altogether.  I can provide more
comments/explanations per-commit, if that would help.

Some of it is in varying levels of completeness and isolation.  That
NetCDF commit is probably ready to be pulled right now, for example.
Would love to hear comments on what I can do to get what we've got (or
similar solutions) upstream.

-tom