[vtk-developers] Fwd: [vtkusers] coloring vtkDiscreteMarchingCubes

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 10 19:22:41 EST 2011

Bill,
Thanks for your reply.  The wiki link I provided contains my entire, small dataset, f_7x4x4_height.vtk, which does indeed consist of integral data (just 0s,1s,2s,3s).  And the DMC filter does generate the desired geometry.  It's just that when I then try to color it according to another (integral) field, it's as if the mapper disregards the color array.

If there's something I can do to make this easier to test, e.g. provide a C++ example instead of Python, I can do that.

I also tried to blindly use VTK's example DMC pgm on my simple dataset, but had errors (not surprisingly):
$ /Users/heiland/dev/vtk-build/vtk-8-2-11/bin/GenerateModelsFromLabels ~/dev/vtk-stuff/f_7x4x4.vtk 0 3
Incomplete file record definition
NDims required and not defined.
MetaObject: Read: MET_Read Failed
MetaImage: M_Read: Error parsing file
MetaImage: Read: Cannot parse file
ERROR: In /Users/heiland/Documents/workspace/VTK/IO/vtkMetaImageReader.cxx, line 84
vtkMetaImageReader (0x7f8f29002000): MetaImage cannot parse file.

Incomplete file record definition
NDims required and not defined.
MetaObject: Read: MET_Read Failed
MetaImage: M_Read: Error parsing file
MetaImage: Read: Cannot parse file
ERROR: In /Users/heiland/Documents/workspace/VTK/IO/vtkMetaImageReader.cxx, line 224
vtkMetaImageReader (0x7f8f29002000): MetaImage cannot read data from file.

ERROR: In /Users/heiland/Documents/workspace/VTK/Graphics/vtkDiscreteMarchingCubes.cxx, line 292
vtkDiscreteMarchingCubes (0x7f8f28501bf0): Cannot contour data of dimension != 3

ERROR: In /Users/heiland/Documents/workspace/VTK/Graphics/vtkWindowedSincPolyDataFilter.cxx, line 112
vtkWindowedSincPolyDataFilter (0x7f8f285024f0): No data to smooth!

thanks, Randy