[vtk-developers] [VTK 0012718]: Paraview 3.12.0 fails to build against protobuf 2.4.1

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Thu Nov 10 11:18:29 EST 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=12718
Reported By:                td123
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   12718
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2011-11-10 11:18 EST
Last Modified:              2011-11-10 11:18 EST
If I build without protobuf installed, it passes configuration, but then later I
get the error:
[ 84%] Generating vtkPVMessage.pb.h, vtkPVMessage.pb.cc
/build/src/ParaView-3.12.0/build/bin/protoc: error while loading shared
libraries: libprotoc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

which causes:
fatal error: vtkPVMessage.pb.h: No such file or directory

If I install protobuf 2.4.1 on my system and try to compile, I get the following
error:
[ 84%] Building CXX object
ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/CMakeFiles/vtkPVServerImplementation.dir/vtkPVSessionBase.cxx.o
In file included from
/build/src/ParaView-3.12.0/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/vtkSMMessage.h:30:0,
                 from
/build/src/ParaView-3.12.0/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/vtkPVSessionBase.cxx:22:
/build/src/ParaView-3.12.0/build/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/vtkPVMessage.pb.h:12:2:
error: #error This file was generated by a newer version of protoc which is
incompatible with your Protocol Buffer headers. Please update your headers.

It seems that the configure script should be configured to add support for
detecting if protobuf is installed and maybe regenerating the headers if a newer
version is installed. I'm building this on archlinux.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change