[vtk-developers] Wrapping templated types

Shead, Timothy tshead at sandia.gov
Thu May 19 12:30:37 EDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 8:02 AM, David Gobbi wrote:

> I've put an experimental branch on Gerrit that wraps templated
> types in python:
> http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,1680
>
> The templated types that it wraps are vtkVector, vtkRect, and
> vtkColor.  It allows these (and their subclasses) to be used as
> interface types in the Charts classes.
>
> As an aside, I noticed some issues with these classes:
> - vtkRect should have its own header file
> - they do not define "<<" operators for printability
> - they are used from Rendering, but their headers are in Charts

David:

I'd be very interested in how this could work with vtkArray and its subclasses, which are templated.  Currently, if you create an instance of vtkArray, you don't have access to any of its templated subclass methods from Python - would your work help in this case?

Cheers,
Tim

Timothy M. Shead
Sandia National Laboratories
1461, Scalable Analysis and Visualization