[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] VTK 4 compatibility removal - update

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu May 12 13:47:12 EDT 2011

Bill,

Sort of. I just looked at:

VTK/Utilities/Upgrading/TheNewVTKPipeline.pdf

This is the document that we release to help with VTK 5 transition. I quote from
there:

"
vtkDataObject: in the past this class both stored data and handled
some of the pipeline logic. In the new pipeline this class is only
supposed to store data. In practice there are some pipeline methods in
the class for backwards compatibility so that all of VTK doesn’t
break, but the goal is that vtkDataObject should only be about storing
data. vtkDataObject has an instance of vtkInformation that can be used
to store key-value pairs in. For example the current extent of the
data object is stored in there but the whole extent is not, because
that is a pipeline attribute containing information about a specific
pipeline topology .
"

Later on, this document described how whole extent can be specified in
RequestInformation using the WHOLE_EXTENT() key. I suggest that all
developers that are going to be upgrading their
algorithms/applications read that document carefully.

-berk