[vtk-developers] VTK modularization: initial pass at new modules

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Mar 9 11:48:07 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> Have you ever used the gcc -MM flag? It generates dependencies for a
> source file.

Bill,

I have used it in the past, I also refer to the Doxygen pages which
can be pretty useful. The real test is obviously in the building, and
I haven't found a great pattern to use this flag for a whole directory
of source files. I wanted to involve the community as early as
possible, and am working on these issues while giving the opportunity
for early feedback.

If you have any tips for generating inter-module dependencies easily I
would certainly be interested in them too. I hope to have a buildable
solution up and running in the near future to make things a little
more concrete.

Marcus