[vtk-developers] VTK modularization: initial pass at new modules

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Mar 9 11:19:43 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Andrew Maclean
>> <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Marcus,
>> >    Firstly congratulations to you all on a brilliant first effort.
>> > One minor change, could I suggest moving:
>> > [Filters/Sources]
>> >
>> > Graphics/vtkParametricFunctionSource.cxx:
>> > Graphics/vtkParametricFunctionSource.h:
>> >

>> > To:
>> > [Core/ComputationalGeometry]
>> > Logically vtkParametricFunctionSource belongs with the rest of the
>> > vtkParametric classes.
>>
>> This is one case where it would be nice to keep it where it is. The
>> Core/ComputationalGeometry module should only depend on Core/Core
>> right now, but if we made this move then it would also depend on
>> Core/ExecutionModel. Filters/Sources would of course link to
>> Core/ExecutionModel, and to Core/ComputationalGeometry if necessary.
>>
>> That said I have not gotten this far with the build system, but I
>> think it would be nice to keep the minimal dependency set for
>> ComputationalGeometry if this is feasible.
>>

> Perhaps the other vtkParametric classes belong wherever they need to belong
> in order to minimize the dependencies then? Perhaps a Parametric module
> itself somewhere?

That is pretty much what Core/ComputationalGeometry is right now (just
depends on Core/Core). The name could be changed, but there may be
other related classes that fit well there. The parametric source needs
Core/ExecutionModel and Core/ComputationalGeometry. Putting it into
ComputationalGeometry would then add an extra dependency to
ComputationalGeometry on ExecutionModel.

I would like to get these things building, and confirm my analysis is
correct. It seems like keeping all of the source classes together is
reasonable. I will try to get the inter-module dependencies tabulated
in the short term so that we can more easily assess the impact. There
are a few more things that I need to move around in order to get
things building without reworking some of the classes anyway.

Marcus