[vtk-developers] VTK on iOS

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Mar 2 12:02:51 EST 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sason,
>
> You will definitely have to do some iOS-specific modifications to CMake,
> if you haven't already done so you should look at what has been done for ITK:
> http://mial.fas.sfu.ca/researchProject.php?s=401
>
> VTK is well-tested on OS X 10.6 (at least from VTK 5.6 and onwards) so
> in addition to your iOS test system, you should build and run VTK on
> OS X as your baseline.
>
> The VTK User's Guide and Mastering CMake are both useful.  Most of the
> same information is online (in fact all of it for CMake) but a book can be
> more pleasant to read than a computer screen.

Minor correction: Mastering CMake is *not* available in its entirety
online. Only the appendices of the book are available, and the
"tutorial" chapter. The rest of the chapters, with explanatory text,
are not available online. They only appear in the book. Of course,
having said that, there is nothing iOS specific mentioned in the book.

I would suggest taking the "cross-compiling" approach and using "Unix
Makefiles" as your generator.

Ask questions on the CMake users mailing list if you run into troubles.

HTH,
David C.