[vtk-developers] vtkArrayCalculator / vtkFunctionParser

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Jun 20 11:25:18 EDT 2011

See these:

http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Python_Calculator
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/Python_Programmable_Filter

The classes used to implement these are:

vtkPythonCalculator and vtkPythonProgrammableFilter

in the ParaView repository.

The Python modules used are:

dataset_adapter.py
algorithms.py

in the ParaView repository.

If there is interest within the VTK community in this functionality,
moving these to VTK is relatively easy (but not trivial).

-berk

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch> wrote:
> That sounds very interesting! I assume you refer to the git version.
> Which files are these exactly?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dominik
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dominik,
>>
>> For ParaView, we have been developing a Python (NumPy + VTK) based
>> calculator that is independent of vtkArrayCalculator. The main
>> advantages are that it is more efficient and easily extensible using
>> Python. Does this address your needs?
>>
>> -berk
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch> wrote:
>>> We are developing for our internal needs a substitute of the
>>> vtkFunctionParser using QScript and python at option. I am wondering:
>>>
>>> 1) Would this be something attractive enough to contribute to VTK.
>>> 2) How would I best integrate it into the existing vtkArrayCalculator.
>>> Rewrite the latter, allowing multiple parsers (current, QScript,
>>> python) or implement 3 of them for the 3 parsers.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dominik