[vtk-developers] Cut triangles in polydata

Laurent Chauvin lchauvin at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 13 11:38:26 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have a trouble with vtkClipPolyData class.

I am trying to use a box (vtkBoxWidget2) to simulate a finite plane (with
boundaries) with thickness to cut a model (vtkPolyData).

It is working quite good when triangles in the model are smaller than the
thickness of my plan, but, as I need a 1mm plane, some triangles are bigger
than the thickness (none of the points of the triangles are inside my box),
so when I clipped this triangles are not clipped because they (the lines of
the triangles) are just going through my box.

I look at the vtkClipPolyData source code, and it seems the number of points
(dimension) of the triangles inside the box is used to define how to clip,
but as I explained, points of my bigger triangles are not in the plane, so
they are not clipped.

Do you know if there a way to get around this problem ? refining triangles,
cut triangles with lines in the plane, etc... ? I tried to use a function to
refine triangle before (vtkButterflySubdivisionFilter), but it was really
too long (hours) and triangles was still not small enough to fit in the
plane.

Thank you very much.
Laurent.

--