[vtk-developers] Patches: Large volumes, Image actor extent, Build tweak

Frank Richter frank.richter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:01:55 EDT 2011

Hello,
while using VTK to visualize large 3D images (>4 gigavoxels) I ran into
some issues; here are patches to fix these.

Patches 0001 to 0003: they all share the same underlying issue, ‘int’
type values used to compute sizes or offsets in volumes. These overflow
on x86_64 when dealing with large volumes. ints were replaced with
vtkIdType since that seems to be the type that usually maps to “pointer
width”.

Patch 0004: It so happened that an actual display extent ended up being
-1, resulting in some undesired behaviour, so a rather unlikely value
for an extent was chosen as the “magic“ value to denote an unset extent.

Patch 0005: Hiding VTK symbols in static builds as well means they won't
be exposed when linking a static VTK into some other shared library.

I'd be grateful to hear some feedback on these changes.

-f.r.