[vtk-developers] Any VTK Shader experts?

David Partyka david.partyka at kitware.com
Fri Jul 15 11:09:37 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Yesterday I took a stab at the ShadowMapPass test failures on the Mac. When
ValidateProgram is called on your shader program it is pretty strict,
requiring the shader language version to be defined before anything else.

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=102624315&build=1274890

I fixed this by ensuring the language version number is first.

Now I get another a new set of errors that I am not sure at all how to
solve.

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=104979321&build=1329109

Googling the error message it seems to indicate that there are two uniforms
of different types that are initialized to the same texture unit. I can see
that being the case in the fragment shader (vtkShadowMapPassShader_fs.glsl)
because by default both of these will be initialized to 0.

uniform sampler2DShadow shadowMaps[VTK_LIGHTING_NUMBER_OF_LIGHTS];
uniform sampler2D spotLightShape;

Unfortunately I don't know enough about how the uniforms are initialized and
bound when running them from within VTK. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!