[vtk-developers] Problem with Python wrappers

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Fri Jul 15 09:42:12 EDT 2011

Hi David,

Thanks for your response and the offer to help.

On Friday 15 July 2011 06:12 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
> It is not quite as simple as using the name vtkVector2 because then the
> name would no longer be unique, since then all template instantiations
> of vtkVector2 would share the same name even though they are different
> classes.

Don't you already have vtkVector2i, vtkVector2f etc. which really are
specific instantiations or am I missing something -- I'm away from my
laptop where I built things so cannot verify?

> I could make the names alphanumeric _and_ keep their uniqueness by using
> a name mangling scheme, at the cost of making the names less human-readable.
>
> As for the names not being in the vtk module, I envisioned that people
> would instantiate these template via the new template "objects" that I
> had created, and hadn't given enough thought to automatic tools.
>
> Can you email me a script that walks the VTK tree in the way you
> require, so that I can easily test different solutions to find one that
> works with your code?  I'm not sure that it is still possible to get
> this changed for the VTK 5.8 release, but the faster I can make the
> changes (i.e. the easier it is for me to test), the greater the
> likelihood of it getting into the release.

In actuality I'd like Mayavi to work but installing it is non-trivial so
I will try and whip up a script for you with no external dependencies
later tonight (in 3-4 hours from now).  I hope that will work.

Thanks!
cheers,
Prabhu