[vtk-developers] Patches: Large volumes, Image actor extent, Build tweak

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:21:36 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Frank Richter <frank.richter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 17:35, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In VTK 5.6 at line 242 of vtkImageActor.cxx, or line 198 in git master.  There
>> might be other places, too, but that should give you an idea of what to look
>> for.
>
> I could not find other places where the image actor's DisplayExtent[0]
> is checked for -1 or set to -1.

Then could you send a modified patch?  I've already applied patches
1 through 3 to the VTK master.  I'm still not 100% sure that changing
the value from -1 to VTK_INT_MIN is a good idea -- there could be
some application code out there that sets the value to -1 to
"re-initialize" the DisplayExtent.

To tell the truth, I think the way DisplayExtent is handled by
vtkImageActor is broken, but it really cannot be fixed without breaking
backwards compatibility.  That was one of my reasons for writing the
new vtkImageSlice/vtkImageSliceMapper classes to replace
vtkImageActor.

 - David