[vtk-developers] OpenGL, picking, fixed-function pipeline, deprecation

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jul 5 16:10:24 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I (and my coworkers) know next to nothing about OpenGL (part of why we use VTK-- as an abstraction), but here goes anyway... :)

VTK seems to do picking by using the 'fixed-function pipeline', specifically by doing:

glRenderMode(GL_SELECT);

then:

GLuint hits = glRenderMode(GL_RENDER);

My understanding is that this technique is deprecated (assuming I've not been misinformed).

So, what would be the correct way to re-implement VTK's picking?

(I ask because the current technique is problematic in a certain beta OS, which is under NDA for a couple more weeks.)

Someone suggested to me a 'color coding' technique like this:
<http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/picking/index.php3?color1>

But I don't know if that's appropriate.

Thanks for any pointers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com