[vtk-developers] RFC: vtkScopedPointer - a new hope?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Jan 24 15:48:01 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM, tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> "Marcus D. Hanwell" <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> writes:
>> Some of you may remember my dreams of a concise way of initializing
>> VTK objects, that would go out of scope and be destroyed at the
>> appropriate time. Inspired by the Qt scoped pointer, [. . .]
>>
>> http://review.source.kitware.com/759
>
> scoped (and other) smart pointers were introduced with tr1, back in
> 2003 IIRC.  Further boost has had this for quite some time:
>
>  http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/libs/smart_ptr/scoped_ptr.htm?sess=94fbb4fa5cfd2b2071c3be193acb355d
>
> I realize that vtk is a bit stuck because it has already shipped some
> smart pointers, and thus probably must continue to do so for some time
> due to backward compat requirements, but I'd discourage *extending*
> the trend.  This is a painful interop problem, especially with larger
> software systems -- there's probably some C++ platitude that states,
> "Every library eventually evolves a smart pointer implementation."
>
> Or there is now, at least.

Would any of these scoped pointers actually work with VTK derived
objects? We have private constructors, need to call the static New
method, and the Delete method on destruction. I also don't see VTK
depending on TR1 features, or Boost for quite some time. The class is
quite minimal, and I think it would complement the other two pointer
classes that help to manage VTK derived objects.

Marcus