[vtk-developers] A new way to look at images

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Sat Jan 22 09:32:04 EST 2011

David this is very clever and seems pretty intuitive to use (I did not
actually try it).

I think my initial (minor) concern is naming, while I think what you've come
up is pretty good I can see how a novice might get confused.  Did you
consider something like "ImageResliceActor", "ResliceActor" or simply
"Reslice"?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been experimenting with a new way of rendering 3D images in VTK.
> So far, it is working fairly well.  Here is a rough description of the
> new VTK classes I've written:
>
> vtkImage - a new prop for image viewing, analogous to vtkVolume and
> vtkActor
> vtkImageProperty - holds the lookup table, window/level, etc.
> vtkImageMapper3D - a new mapper that does image reslicing and texturing
>
> Using these classes is very simple: just set up the camera, and the
> vtkImage object will automatically display the slice at the camera
> focal point.  To show a different slice, just move the focal point so
> that it lies at a different position in the 3D image.  To slice in a
> different orientation, rotate the camera around the focal point.  In
> other words, the slicing is completely controlled by the camera.  This
> makes everything work nicely with the VTK interactors, and also
> simplifies the intermixing of images and geometry.
>
> My reason for making this class is that I've seen plenty of users on
> the list who struggle with vtkImageReslice and with vtkImageViewer.  I
> wanted to make it as easy to view an image in VTK as it is to view an
> actor. I have the code on my github account
> git://github.com/dgobbi/VTK.git in the branch "image-prop"
> http://github.com/dgobbi/VTK/tree/image-prop
>
> The code includes a modified vtkInteractorStyleImage class that has
> new interactions for rotating the camera with shift-leftbutton (for
> oblique slicing) and for adjusting the focal point with
> shift-middlebutton (for slicing through the image).  There is also a
> python example in Examples/ImageProcessing/Python/ImageMapper3D.py.
> All of this is still preliminary development, but so far I haven't
> encountered any show-stopping bugs.
>
> Please let me know what you think.  I'll try to make a wiki page with
> more details next week.
>
>  - David

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.