[vtk-developers] new widget to spy on your vtk objects

Yumin Yuan yumin.yuan at kitware.com
Tue Feb 15 09:44:26 EST 2011

Excellent! Pat. Now you have to promise that you only travel when
there is a storm :).

I haven't looked at your implementation yet, so I don't know how much
effort this may require (I know it is probably not trivial), but I am
going to suggest it anyway :). I think just adding one level of
reference relationship (referenced by or referencing) will be even
more helpful when debugging leaks.

Yumin

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> Absolutely brilliant. Nice work, Pat!
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit
> <utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> That;s fantastic. Can't wait to try it out next time I am trying to
>> debug a leak-hell.
>>
>> Utkarsh
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM, pat marion <pat.marion at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello vtk and qt heads,
>> >
>> > I've got a new widget to share with you.  Actually it's not new.  I
>> > wrote
>> > the code several months ago when I was stuck in an airport.  I finally
>> > got
>> > around to rebasing it and pushing to github.  I added a wiki page with
>> > screenshots:
>> >
>> >     http://vtk.org/Wiki/DebugLeaksView
>> >
>> > Motivation: VTK_DEBUG_LEAKS is a great help, any developer worth his or
>> > her
>> > salt has it enabled... (right?)  But it only reports leaky objects at
>> > program shutdown.  I wanted to spy on my vtk objects at runtime.  So I
>> > created this debug leaks widget.  Please see the wiki page for a
>> > demonstration!
>> >
>> > Pat

Yumin Yuan
R&D Engineer