[vtk-developers] problems persist with java, gdcm, and vtk in the git trunk

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:33:59 EST 2011

Hi all,

I have a problem using gdcm with vtk 5.9 (both found in their
respective git trunks) when wrapped in java.  This problem does NOT
happen with vtk 5.6.

If I wrap everything in java, build using java with release or debug
on both gdcm and vtk, and on mac or on windows using either gcc or
visual studio 2008, respectively.  The mac is built using unix
makefiles, not xcode.

I've checked in some sample code in the gdcm repository that should
show this behavior (at least, it shows it on mine).  It's a mockup of
the Medical3.java example that's been modified to use the
vtkGDCMImageReader object instead of the v16 reader.  The file is
gdcmImageReadingExample.java.  There is quite a bit of code there, but
the relevant portion is the gdcmReader.Update() line.

The relevant code looks like (where theSize and filenames have been
defined previously, the entire code is in the example code):

vtkGDCMImageReader reader = new vtkGDCMImageReader();

vtkStringArray sa = new vtkStringArray();
for (int j = 0; j < theSize; j ++){
  sa.InsertNextValue(filenames[j]);
}

gdcmReader.SetFileNames(sa);
gdcmReader.Update();

vtkImageData theImageData = gdcmReader.GetOutput();

with vtk version 5.6, theImageData is a valid object.  With vtk
version 5.7 and on, it is not.

What has changed with the java wrapping?  The same code works fine in
C++, but not when java wrapped.

Please help.  I thought that moving to vtk 5.9 would solve these
problems, but apparently not.

Thanks,
Mark