[vtk-developers] vtkGarbageCollector performance

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:26:37 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:29:14 -0700, David Gobbi said:
>
>>I'm not a GC expert, but I can talk about VTK_LEAN_AND_MEAN.
>>It's main purpose is to remove vtkDebugMacro, i.e. by making it into
>>a no-op. But there might be other places that it's used, too.
>
> David,
>
> Do me a favour and search all of VTK for VTK_LEAN_AND_MEAN... it's not
> #defined anywhere (except vtkWinCE.h, oddly enough).  If one wants to
> enable it, is one supposed to #define it somewhere?  There doesn't seem
> to be any CMake variable to turn on/off... or am I missing something?

Ah, I see.  I would have thought that, at the very least, CMake would add
it as "-D VTK_LEAN_AND_MEAN" to the compiler command line.  When
I looked through some "historical" VTK releases, I found out where it used
to be defined: in pcmaker.exe.  So it looks like it was an option that only
used for building in Release mode on Windows, and that was back around
ten years ago.  I thought that it was still used for something, but it seems
that I was wrong.

 - David