[vtk-developers] ParaView HDF5 migration to VTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 2 18:27:02 EST 2011

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:54:50 -0500, Dave Partyka said:

>I have just merged commits to VTK and ParaView that move ParaView's HDF5
>into VTK. This migration makes it possible for VTK developers to begin using
>HDF5 storage in their own VTK classes and will also allow us to enable HDF5
>functionality in other Utilities (such as HDF5 enabled NetCDF). HDF5 is
>located under Utilities/vtkhdf5. This version of HDF5 is the same that was
>in ParaView (1.8.5) but now is also mangled with vtk as a prefix.
>
>I strongly recommend that ParaView developers do a clean build after pulling
>these changes to reduce the likelihood of build failures. We will be
>watching the dashboard carefully for the next few days. If anyone
>experiences any issues please feel free to let us know and/or report a bug.

Dave,

1) when installing vtk (master) most all .h files go into /include/
vtk-5.9, except a bunch of H5*.h files go directly into /include.  Is
that a bug?

2) Building vtk with clang reports:

clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-std=c99'

This appears to come from Utilities/vtkhdf5/CMakeLists.txt

# Compiler specific flags : Shouldn't there be compiler tests for these
IF (NOT WIN32)
  SET (CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_ANSI_CFLAGS} ${CMAKE_C_FLAGS} -std=c99 -
fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -fno-common")
ENDIF (NOT WIN32)

I believe the comment is correct. :)

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com