[vtk-developers] Valgrind defects are zero!

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:52:34 EST 2011

> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the old days, we used to run a full valgrind once a week. I think
>> ctest may support that. Also, I think ctest supports running a subset
>> of tests each night.

Can't we take advantage of the modularization here to make my idea
more feasible? If I make a change in vtkRenderer, of course the tests
should take 10 hours. However, if I make a change in vtkBorderWidget,
shouldn't there be a way to only run tests that are affected by the
change? CMake already knows this information (when I 'make' it only
builds anything that needs to be built based on the change that was
made), so theoretically CTest could know about it, too? It should kind
of cache the results of the tests, so running 'ctest' would only rerun
and push to the dashboard tests that need to be run. Probably harder
to do than I am making it sound, but it seems worth the result to me.

David