[vtk-developers] git help: 'git gerrit-push' fails with 'fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref'

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Aug 19 15:24:40 EDT 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:30:44 -0400, Utkarsh Ayachit said:

>Do "git branch" and verify you are on a named branch.

$ git branch
* (no branch)
  master
  ply-code-review

Indeed, I am somehow no longer on the right branch.  It wasn't me that changed it though!

So I tried to switch:

$ git checkout ply-code-review
Warning: you are leaving 1 commit behind, not connected to
any of your branches:

  e88ef2c Additional code review of PLY code

If you want to keep them by creating a new branch, this may be a good time
to do so with:

 git branch new_branch_name e88ef2cc25ba861da4d0b803c33defb13d36dc91

Switched to branch 'ply-code-review'

I guess the commit of improvements did not go onto the 'ply-code-review' branch?

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com