[vtk-developers] Google Summer of Code students announced

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Apr 28 09:53:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM, David Lonie <loniedavid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm very excited to find out that my proposal was accepted! I'm a
> computational chemistry Ph.D. student at SUNY Buffalo and I will be
> working with Marcus to add native chemistry visualization tools to
> VTK.

Hi David,

Thanks for introducing yourself to the VTK community again. It is
great to see both of our students receive such warm welcomes. It is no
secret that I really want to push chemistry visualization forward in
VTK too, as well as see further adoption of advanced visualization
techniques from VTK in Avogadro.

As your official mentor you should feel free to contact me whenever
you like about any issues you might be having getting up to speed with
VTK development, merging in changes or discussion of new API. I would
be very happy to see both of you interacting with our wider community
on the development list, keeping them up to date on new developments
and discussing additions to VTK.

At the ACS meeting I discovered a few more users of VTK in chemistry,
and so I will also be contacting them over the summer to see if we
might find a few more beta testers.

I am looking forward to a great summer.

Best wishes,

Marcus